Every so often you may see water pooling under your air conditioner… and that’s ok. Small amounts of water collecting underneath your A/C unit are typical. You’re likely to see puddles when it is very warm outside and the unit is working hard to keep your home cool. BUT… if you see a larger ‘swimming pool’ or ice, it may be your warning sign to get your favorite A/C repair team over before your unit is damaged.
Two factors causing condensation puddles are your thermostat setting and the temperature outside. At times the ‘puddle’ will be small… which again, is normal, but if it persists for a day or two and it develops into a pool or ice, you may have a problem. Call your favorite A/C repair team before it breaks for good.
- Dirty air filters contribute to the problem. If your filter is dirty or blocked, your AC unit’s coils are more likely to freeze up, causing a water leak.
- A broken condensate pan, which collects the water, may be causing the leak. This usually happens with older units that are at the end of their lifetime.
- If the AC unit’s drain pipe is clogged or blocked, water may be prevented from draining properly and cause a leak.
- Improper installation– if your air conditioner is relatively new and leaks a lot of water it is most likely due to an installation issue
- When refrigerant levels are low. Low refrigerant levels can create excess water. The pressure in your AC system will lower as well, which can cause the evaporator coils to ice up. If your coils freeze, your drain pan overflows and you get more puddles.
- Turn off your A/C to defrost, this usually takes 4 hours.
- Check your air filter for dirt. Hold your air filter up to the sky, if you do not see any light shining through your air filter is dirty. Put in a new air filter and after your A/C has defrosted, turn it back on.
- Call Stramowski. Our team of technicians will evaluate and get your A/C back to 100%. Ensure your A/C is has defrosted a minimum of 4 hours so when we get to your home, we may begin the assessment of your unit. This will save you time and money.